Thursday, August 1, 2019

Express Lunch

It's unfortunate that my line of work (in my full time job) didn't take me to as many fine-dining places as I would like to, but here's one rare occasion that I got to join some of my industry peers over at a business lunch at Pierre of MO not long ago. Not my first time dining inside the private room on top of the hotel with perfect view of the harbor skyline and the city, but this time I realized the setting is just perfect for a casual, small group luncheon, with space to mingle and a comfortable long table for a sit-down meal in a cozy room at the back of the restaurant.



Obviously food was not the main focus in this occasion but we were served a lovely three-course menu. To start it was a colorful and well-plated dish of poached char with watercress mayonnaise and topped with strings of celeriac and green beans salad. This cold appetizer course was light and refreshing with a touch of exotic spices (kaffir lime, if I have to take a guess).

I didn't indicate any dietary preference, so I guess I was offered the default choice of beef as main course. In the middle of the plate was a slab of wagyu steak, well-marbled and tender, and on top was the bone marrow and dehydrated carrots which provided some extra textures. Underneath the steak was a buckwheat pancake, and below, a pickled sorrel and rhubarb puree. Not sure what the pancake did to the dish but I like the acidity from the sauce providing the right balance to the fatty taste of the meat and the bone marrow. A very decent dish overall.

While the bread basket trailed in quality comparing to other top restaurants in town (not enough butter in the dough, I reckon), the dessert was well on par. It's a rhubarb tart served on a sable biscuit with marshmallow and jelly on top, and on the side, a quenelle of "white sorbet" - just milk sorbet, I suppose. Simple but perfectly executed, and well-suited for a short executive lunch menu such as this.

Where? Pierre at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong, 25th Floor, 5 Connaught Road, Hong Kong
Menu Highlights? Muscadet-poached char, watercress mayonnaise, green beans and celeriac salad
Drinks?
2015 Jean-paul et Benoit Droin Chablis AOC
2015 E. Guigal Crozes-Hermitage
Web: www.mandarinoriental.com/hong-kong/victoria-harbour/fine-dining/restaurants/french-cuisine/pierre

No comments :