Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Nicholini's Four Course Dinner

It’s been years since I was last eating at Nicholini’s – and I blame that on COVID and everything that went on for the past few years. But I was back recently to check out a few new dishes by Chef Riccardo Catarsi. 

Not much has changed since my last visit – in the days where many restaurants chose a modern, contemporary style décor this certainly stood out as somewhere reserved for a special occasion. I have done my fair share of Italian meals in the past couple of weeks and this one was definitely right up there with the others. 

The summer set dinner menu came in four courses with different choices for each. I started with the scallops, seared mi cuit with purple potato espuma and oyster sorbet on the side. An unusual combination perhaps, but I like the sea water flavor from the oyster sorbet and the umami from the scallop worked well, and the espuma added a layer of texture and a sweet hint. 

I couldn’t recall having their namesake pasta Little Nicholini’s before I enjoyed the cheesy ravioli served with mascarpone and black truffle sauce. Got the nice homey flavor to it. I opted for Turbot as my main course, and it’s done Acqua Pazza style and baked in a pastry crust, with pieces of turbot combined with a tomato-based sauce, capers and herbs in a deep bowl with puff pastry layered around the rim. Similar to “en Papilotte”, but we got the tasty pastry as well when it’s mixed and soaked in the sauce. 

We shared our desserts so felt like each of us were having a platter. The semifreddo with pistachio and cherries was my favorite. Plus the special birthday cake too 

(Dinner was by invitation)

When? August 26 2022
Where? Nicholini’s, Level 8 Conrad Hong Kong, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong
Menu Highlights? Little Nicoholini’s: Ravioli, Mascarpone and Truffles
Drinks?
Perrier Jouet Grand Brut NV
2020 Torre Rosazza Fruili Colli Orientali Pinot Grigio
2019 Yealands Estate Pinot Noir, Marlborough, New Zealand
Web: conraddining.com/en/nicholinis


No comments :