Sunday, June 26, 2022

Weekday Japanese Lunch 3: Sushi Kami

Just a few days after my last sushi lunch, I went for another again, this time at another restaurant in Central. It’s been a few years since I last visited Sushi Kami (before their name change) located inside a commercial building on On Lan Street, but everything looked exactly the same as I remembered with the long wooden counter where multiple chefs worked to serve more than a dozen or so customers at the same time. 

We were seated closer to the back end of the counter and served by one of their sous chefs. Multiple omakase set was offered during the lunch service, differed by the number of sushi and otsumami courses, and this time we went for the “Kuwamizu” set with 12 courses. We started off with a couple appetizers – the bowl of chawanmushi and then slow-cooked tako (octopus). The couple pieces of octopus cut from the tenacles were of the perfect texture, tender but with a bite and well-seasoned during the slow-cook process. 

Their sushi courses were pretty much on par with what I expected and they were very enjoyable. Seems to me they put more emphasis on richer flavor – we went right in with kinmedai (goldeneye snapper) which was firm and fat (and slightly smoky with the skin briefly charred) Even the normally milder hirame (flouder) and shimeji (striped jack) were served with a generous brush of sauce to enhance their flavor. The akagai (arc shell) was beautifully shaped and it was delicious with a nice crunchy texture (one of my favorites of the afternoon). 

After sumi-ika (squid) – served with the piece fine-scored for the more tender texture – it was a pair of tuna, first the akami-zuke and the o-toro served by having 3 thin pieces served on top of one another. I do like this way of serving, again, improved the texture. Nodoguro was another excellent piece with the piece slightly grilled and the skin charred. I liked its fattiness. The uni (sea urchins) was served nigiri style similar to the one I had a few days ago, but this time it’s with a softer texture and creamier. Sayori (needlefish) was served as our last savory course with a dab of minced scallion on top. That was followed by the monaka ice-cream sandwich. 

Given the more-than-reasonable price point (I don't need to sell my kidney to eat here) and this being somewhat easier to book (before of its size and being the older establishments), I would say this is unbeatable. I should mark this down to make a booking for dinner next time, hopefully not too far away. 

When? June 2 2022
Where? Sushi Kami, 12/F, 18 On Lan Street, Central, Hong Kong
Web: (Facebook) www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064009561620 


No comments :