Recently I was at Lily & Bloom in Lan Kwai Fong for a dinner tasting of a special "Mac Attack" menu they are launching from mid-January til end of February. During the promotional period, Chef Billy will collaborate with five different chefs from around town to introduce a series of new "Mac n Cheese" dishes, one created by each chef based on their own interpretation of this ultimate comfort food.
|Little Bao Mac & Cheese - Applewood Cheddar Sauce, Drunken Foie Gras, Steamed Rice Roll|
|Black Truffled Carbonara Mac & Cheese - Egg Yolk, Chives, Fresh Black Truffles|
|The Lobster Mac & Cheese - Local Rock Lobster, 36-Months-Aged Parmigiano-Reggiano, Cognac, Basil Breadcrumbs, Three Cheeses|
After I returned home after the dinner, I started to wonder, what would I do for my own creative interpretation of Mac n Cheese? And ladies and gentlemen, here's what I have come up with. You might be shocked at what I put in there, but trust me, it's good.
|My Mac Attack: Mac n Cheese with Fermented Tofu and Chinese Liver Sausages|
- 1 lb of macaroni pasta (feel free to substitute with pasta of any shape)
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoon of general flour
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 3 cups of shredded/grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 blocs or tablespoons of Chinese fermented tofu (I use the spicy one but the regular one works just as fine)
- 2 pairs of Chinese liver sausages
1. Cook the pasta according to the packaging instruction. Drain and set aside.
2. Steam the liver sausages over boiling water or in steam oven until soften, in 5 minutes. Cut into slices and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour into the pan over medium heat and quickly mix together to form a roux. Wait until the roux is slightly-browned (it would take around 5 minutes - do not over-burn) Pour the milk slowly into the roux and stir in to mix. It should thicken into gravy-like consistency. That's the bechamel sauce which would be the base of our pasta.
4. Turn the heat to low, with bechamel sauce still in the saucepan, whisk in the shredded cheese followed by the fermented tofu until it's completely melted and mixed in to the sauce.
5. Remove saucepan from heat, add the pasta in, stir well and serve with slices of liver sausages on top. Optionally, you can also bake to give a crusted top by adding panko bread crumbs on top and bake on broiler mode for 5 minutes in an oven pre-heated at 190C.
(Note: The Mac Attack dinner tasting at Lily & Bloom was by invitation. My version of Mac n Cheese was unfortunately not available in any restaurant - yet)
Got Instagram? Please follow me on my IG at https://www.instagram.com/g4gary/