Saturday, June 22, 2013

10 Commandments for Le Creuset Pots

There are all kinds of pages and sites in facebook that I am part of, and one of them is called "Friends of Le Creuset". Well it's good to see so many people love their colorful, versatile cast iron pots, but it's also jaw-dropping to see many people didn't have a clue how to care for them or maximize their potential, while keep on bragging about the many pots they "captured" and kept in mint condition - forever.


Somehow I felt sad seeing that. It's like a displaying in your living room a trophy that you never won, or talking about travel stories that you never experienced, or driving a Ferrari and never got off first gear on the street. And it doesn't do the pots any justice either - they are far better than just a colorful piece of your kitchen trophy cabinet.

Anyway, here is something I wrote but didn't dare post on the group, for the sad people. 

Le Creuset Pots - The 10 Commandments

1. Take the sticker off the pots and pans before you start cooking! Would you walk around in a suit with the tag still on the jacket sleeves?

2. It's a disgrace to think everything taste better when cooked in a cast iron pot - don't fool yourselves, your instant noodles with fried eggs and spam still taste the same whichever pots you cooked that in.

3. There's absolutely no difference in quality whatever color the pot is. You don't need 10 pots of the same size and shape with different colors.

4. Use me, not buy and then brag on facebook how many pots you have in the cabinet that were never been used. This is a piece of cookware not a piece of art, and is appreciated by being utilized not just being looked at or certainly not cuddled in your sleep.

5. Don't put the pots on high heat! Repeat after me - don't put the pots on high heat.

6. Cast Iron pots can't be used in a microwave. Stoneware can't be used on stove top. If you don't know the difference between cast iron and stoneware, give your pots and pans to someone that does.

7. If someone ask you what's so good about the pots? Don't just say you like their colors, please.

8. Don't put the plastic knob in the oven over 190C. Change to a stainless steel knob (and now you know it's not just to "add some shine to your cookware", as described on their company's website. Shame on them for being so superficial like the amateurs)

9. If you can only have one cast iron pot, buy the oval french oven. You will know what I meant if you need to cook the whole chicken for coq au vin. And by the way, they are probably the only one who would call the pot "French Oven" while it's more commonly known as the "Dutch Oven". Just thought you wanna know.

10. Did I mention you need to take the stickers off your pots and pans before using? You have no idea how many pictures I saw of people showing off their food masterpiece in a pot with the sticker still on. Silly.

15 comments :

Anonymous said...

Somebody takes this Le Creuset say stuff way too serious. I wasn’t sure whether to remove the sticker or not because it appeared to be an integral part of the pot. No I don’t leave my labels on my suit but we all know it’s a Le Creuset pot when we buy it so why do they have to put a bloody sticker on it anyway. My life is a little too busy and I have a lot more important things to do then memorize the 10 Commandments of Le Creuset cookware. You people just need to get over yourselves.

gary s said...

Well, this was meant to be a satire post... =)

Unknown said...

Ummm, if you didn't remove the sticker, because you didn't realize it was actually a sticker, until you tried to see if it really was..... do you have any suggestions on how to get it to come off, now that you've cooked in the pot several times....??

gary s said...

Sponge soaked with water and detergent works that sticker off quite nicely. Do it before you start cooking with it will make sure the sticker won't leave a mark. Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

I love your satirical post. Don't listen to that guy. I found your post because I was also unsure about the sticker. It is my first Le Creuset and when attempting to remove it, I began to think that perhaps it was supposed to stay on because it is really stuck on there

Anonymous said...

Is it really worth the money to buy Le Creuset?
I am an avid cook and have been using cast iron cookware forever. How can one cook without putting a dutch oven on high heat? It seems LC is very temperament to me.
I use the lodge brand and it is good enough for me. I use it as a double oven for making bread and various stews. It is not glamorous but fits my needs.
Sophia

gary s said...

I think Lodge works just fine and I love the rustic feel of them too - but enamel coated cast iron (the one that Le Creuset does) is easier to maintain because it doesn't rust as easily.

Rebecca East said...

Thank you so much for the info re: removing the label! I can't believe the Le Creuset site doesn't provide that information right up front.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this article. I'm a newbie to Le Creuset and am trying to learn everything I can about it. I found my answers with your piece, and it was with tongue-in-cheek humor. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

I can only afford to buy one. I want to be able to cook a 3 to 4 pound chicken in it. Is the 7 quart too big?

gary s said...

7 quart was a tad bit too big but not unmanageable.

Phord said...

There best way I found to remove the sticker was to cook it until it curls away from the pot. The adhesive is too strong for something so temporary.

Haygirl said...

This is great! I've had one piece for ages, that square grill pan, and finally just got the 5.5 quart Dutch oven and was certain the sticker should come off but it's on there pretty good so I started to wonder. Googled and up you came. Thanks for the advice!

Grace said...

Thank you for your post! I too found it by googling if the sticker should come off or not (my is kind of ruffled so I figured yes but wanted to confirm I wasn't committing blasphemy).

I see in the picture at the top of your post a lid resting on the plastic spacers (not sure if this is the actual term for them) that the cookware shipped with. Do you keep them for storage? I understand it can help prevent accidental chips in the enamel but I'm wondering if that's 'best practice' for the pot (just got the 3.4L sauteuse - very excited to start cooking with it!).

Many thanks.

gary s said...

Hi Grace,
Yeah I was keeping those plastic thingies so the lid won't bang against the pot when I stored it and allow some air inside. I think now Le Creuset is selling some prettier ones like these.
Hope this helps! Enjoy cooking! I wish I have more room to get the 3.4L. =)