Friday, July 28, 2017

On Doctor's Order

I never seem to catch on the local craze for afternoon tea despite my love for all pastries, but I recently had a good one at Dr Fern’s Gin Parlour, a speakeasy-style bar hidden in the basement of The Landmark in Central. The place has slowly become my go-to place for a simple drink (or two) at night since they had an awesome selection of my favorite gins (well, that’s their specialty, as their name suggests) Often I would just hop by either for a drink after work, or just drop in after dinner for a quick nightcap.


But for weekend afternoons, they offer something entirely different. Bowls of chips as bar snacks and tall glasses of gin and tonic were replaced by multi-tiered trays of cute fancy pastries and porcelain tea cups in floral pattern on almost every table in this cozy bar (yes, a full bar drink menu is still available then – don’t worry you alcoholics). With the theme of “Mad Hatter Tea Party”, consistent with their eccentric décor of medicine and botanical bottles and wait-staff and bartenders dressed in long doctor’s coat, the afternoon tea set came with a number of sweet and savory items, neatly organized in a 3-level porcelain trays with names such as “Truffle Bonkers Sandwich” or the “Queen of Tarts”.


My favorites were the Tick Tock Roll, which is a lobster roll served with mayo and a slightly toasted butter roll, and The Cheesy Rabbit cake, a mini-version of the classic with cream cheese, biscuit crumble base and topped with an edible flower. For drinks, CYY decided to stick with the tradition of having a cup of tea while I went for my beloved gin and tonic. To me that’s the whole selling point of their afternoon tea offering – I ain’t going to sit in a saloon and sip tea in the afternoon! This time I went for the exotic-tasting Opihr Oriental Spiced Gin with heavy spicy notes, garnished with a slice of orange and additional whole peppercorns with Fentiman’s Tonic, offering just a right jolt to my mind of what was an unusually hectic Saturday.

Yup, this one is worth diving down the rabbit hole for.

When? July 8 2017
Where? Dr. Fern's Gin Parlour, Shop B31A, First Basement, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong
Menu Highlights? Opihr Oriental Spiced Gin with Fentiman’s Tonic

(The meal was by invitation)

No comments :