Thursday, March 10, 2022

Casual Bistro Brunch

We were determined not to make this little freezing rain ruined our weekend lunch plan, a rare occasion that we were able to be out and about eating at a proper restaurant. It’s been a long while since we were last at Louise – in fact if I remember correctly that’s only our second time and I felt like it’s a century ago.

Last time I thought it’s still "work in progress" – I was trying to be nice when I said that - and I guess this time I am going to see how that “work” has evolved with all the accolades they managed to get since then. There were no lack of casual French restaurants in town, and Louise offered more or less the same as the other of the similar caliber but a tad more laid back, with a bistro style a la carte menu for their weekend brunch. 

The classic no-fuss architecture of PMQ and the typical French bistro décor provided the appropriate casual comfortable setting for the food and one could even have a peek at the cooking action from the spacious open kitchen further at the back of the dining room upstairs.

We decided to share a few dishes among the two of us. The bread basket was great, but even better was the whipped brown butter served on the side. We asked for a second serving of those sourdough bread just so we could spread more butter on. One probably couldn’t get a better pate en croute in town – good buttery crust, well-flavored and fatty terrine, and I loved the pickles salad on the side too for the acidity balance. The dish was listed under “Louise Classics” and it really is.

We ordered the poached egg not just because it sounded like a good brunch dish to have, but I remembered those were one of the dishes I like in my last visit. The soft-boiled eggs was sitting on a softest, creamiest Jerusalem artichoke velouté with rice crisp and sausages for both the flavor and texture. There’s a hint of black truffles too. Other than the fact that I thought it’s a bit overpriced for what it is, the dish was delicious. Beef tartare was enjoyable, done the classic way with the equally enjoyable fries on the side. The meat was so good that I felt there’s not much one need to do other than chopping and plating, and I found myself munching on those crispy fries non-stop.

I like their wine list with a good selection by the glass or carafe. We went for the chenin blanc from the Loire Valley, light straw color, crisp and easy-going with plenty of citrus and gripping acidity, and sure brightened the mood on a rainy afternoon and went well with the casual dishes we had. 

We had to cancel our another main course dish in order to make room for desserts. They couldn’t have a better marketing pitch by presenting the choices in a nice wooden box. We went for two and they were both excellent. The Paris Brest was served with a thick layer of chestnut praline cream sandwiched between two fluffy puff pastry shells and I love the texture of the madeleines, soft, buttery with a hint of citrus zest. Just the way it should be.

More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/g4gary/albums/72177720297060830

When? February 19 2022
Where? Louise, PMQ, 35 Aberdeen Street, Central, Hong Kong
Menu Highlights? "Polmard" beef tartar, homemade French fries, salad
Drink? 2018 Domain FL Savennieres “Le Croix Picot” 
Web: louise.hk

 

No comments :